The Duke of Edinburgh award is currently offered in two year groups at the Academy. Students in Year 9 complete the Bronze award and those students in Year 12 then complete the silver award.
- Students need to take part in a physical activity, a skill activity and volunteering. Our students are completing a range of different activities, but as an example:
- Physical- PE enrichment, football, boxing, basketball, swimming, gym, running, circuit training
- Skill – all students are following the leadership program throughout the year where they will gain a level 1 award in sports leadership. This is also their evidence for DofE skill.
- Volunteering – most students will start volunteering after Christmas and will be conducting voluntary activities within the local community.
- The expedition will take place in July. Students will take part in a 2 day, 1 night practice expedition followed by the same again for the qualifying expedition.
- The silver award has just started at the Academy.
- Students will follow the same process as the bronze, but with increased time scales.
- Students will volunteer for 12 months
- Students will develop the skill section for 6 months
- The physical element will go on for 3 months.
- The students are planning their activities at the moment.
- The silver expedition takes place over 3 days and 2 nights, comprising of both a practice expedition and the qualifying expedition.